With hurricane and storm season approaching, you may want to know that help is available to ensure your home is well protected.
For the duration of the hurricane season, Florida will provide grants for improvements. Read on to make sure you don’t miss out.
According to information from the state itself, My Safe Florida Home will provide $115 million for those seeking to protect their homes.
The state of Florida is willing to offer a good deal of money for homeowners, and will award 10,000 dollars to homeowners who want to make home improvements to protect their property from hurricane season.
In addition, information obtained by the Florida Realtors website illustrates that items such as impact-resistant windows and new roofs may be eligible for approved applicants before the programme money runs out.
What is My Safe Florida Home?
My Safe Florida Home is the name for the grant program.
The program previously existed, but was discontinued for a time.
Both the Florida legislature and Governor Ron DeSantis approved the amounts in May to help homeowners.
What does the programme include?
- Florida will reimburse two dollars for every dollar spent on renovations,
- The maximum reimbursement is $10,000.
For example, if you carry out a 3,000-dollar renovation, the state will give you 6,000 dollars.
How to apply for the programme?
According to state statistics, only 11,500 homeowners will receive money for improvements.
You must meet the following criteria:
- Own a home (condos do not count).
- Log in to the My Safe Florida Home portal.
- Fill out the information
- Apply for a hurricane mitigation inspection of your home
- Be a building permit application holder as of March 1, 2002
- Have homeowner’s insurance of 500,000 dollars or less.
- The home must be located in the wind-borne debris region, as defined by the Florida Building Code.
If the process is successful, only what the inspector says can be repaired.
It is crucial to know that renovations are carried out during hurricane season.