Centrifuges are among the most important equipment in hospital labs and healthcare clinics. Used for processing various types of blood samples, laboratory centrifuges come in various models. You have to choose the right one to meet your requirements. There are certain things you need to consider when buying centrifuges for your lab.
Factors to be considered while purchasing Centrifuges
Medical laboratory centrifuges vary considerably in their features, so make sure your selected device satisfies all your requirements.
• Spin speed is important. Revolutions-per-minute will vary and you should consider the speed required for your application. Check the programmability of your centrifuge and whether it will meet your requirements.
• Consider whether you need a refrigerated or non-refrigerated one. A refrigerated interior will help to protect the sample from heat damage. The best models also have some features like last run memory or over-speed running and so on.
• Check the tube, which may be made of glass or plastic. Consider the dimensions of the tubes. Microcentrifuges that are used in research labs have tubes of very small capacities. Make sure you get the tube size suitable for your application.
• Motor and bowl: A centrifuge with a brushless motor would be virtually maintenance-free and is an ideal option for busy labs. Also, a stainless steel bowl would ensure easy clean-out
• Display: A centrifuge with a digital display would shows status, time, speed (RPM), and RCF (g).
Medical Laboratory Centrifuges – Look for Accuracy and Safety
Accuracy is also an important factor. So buy quality product from a reliable laboratory dealer that supplies quality brands of centrifuges providing accurate results. Some leading centrifuge manufacturers include Block Scientific, BD Diagnostic Systems, Beckman, Clay Adams, Drucker and Unico. The warranty period for the lab equipment should also be considered.
Centrifugation is a high-power activity. Purchasing centrifuges with a proper safety system is important to keep the lid from opening when the rotor is in motion. Modern centrifuges are also built for stability and quiet operation.
Budget is a major factor while purchasing a centrifuge. You need to compare online prices and review various products. If you cannot find any medical laboratory centrifuge priced to suit your budget, you can purchase a recertified centrifuge which costs less than new, works as well, and comes with parts warranty.
Finding the right supplier
It is easy to find right supplier by searching online. This facilitates comparison of prices and various models. Online blogs, articles, forums and reviews will also help you to find the right lab equipment supplier.
Uses of Centrifuges
Centrifuges are essential devices for all clinical and research laboratories. This lab equipment serves to separate sample components of different densities in an efficient manner. High speed centrifugal force is used to separate the mixtures and liquids. Modern centrifuges come in a variety of models and capacities and equipped with advanced features such as heating, refrigeration, robotic control and more.
Applications of Laboratory Centrifuges
Medical laboratories utilize centrifuges to analyze blood samples and other substances of different densities. Depending on the specific gravity of the components, the materials are separated into individual components using high speed centrifugal force. This operation leads to the heavy particles of components settling at the bottom and lighter particles rising towards the top. Some of the major applications of this lab equipment are as follows:
- Clinical and research laboratories use this device mainly to analyze blood plasma and serum by spinning the sample tubes for a specified period of time.
- High speed centrifuges are mostly used in blood banks. They are used to separate various components of blood such as plasma, serum, platelets for direct transfusion. In most cases, patients admitted in hospitals or emergency rooms will be in urgent need of different components of blood.
- Another important application of laboratory centrifuge is related to urinalysis. It is used to segregate the different components of human urine. The procedure involves spinning the urine down in a separate tube and examining the resulting material via a microscope.
Centrifuges are basically made of plastic or metal and are compact in design. The bottom part is built to ensure stable operation. They also function at two different speeds – low and high and are timer controlled. Having timer is a convenient option especially when the uses include long time hours for separation of ingredients.
Popular Models of Centrifuges
Leading manufacturers offer floor-standing and bench top centrifuge models. It is important for laboratories to consider certain factors such as performance requirements, laboratory space and budget requirements before selecting a specific model. Some of the popular models wide in demand are – Myfuge Centrifuge, C5 Centrifuge, Octafuge Plus Centrifuge, M24 24-place Hematocrit Centrifuge, Octafuge Plus 220V Centrifuge and more. Most of these lab equipment models offer advanced features such as angled head rotor, blue LED power indicator light, Suction-cupped feet to prevent slipping, auto-off 30-minute timer with bell, and more.
Reliable lab equipment supplier for purchase
Find a reliable lab equipment supplier offering popular models of centrifuges. Locate an online equipment store to buy products suiting your individual requirements. Reliable dealers provide both new and recertified centrifuges at cost-effective rates. Such dealers also provide timely and efficient equipment installation, repair and maintenance support.