Some digital signage companies have developed both SaaS and on-premises software based on Android, Linux and Windows. Since developing and launching our newest platform in the Cloud, we sometimes hear unjustified reasons for rejecting cloud signage. Here are some typical comments and questions (or objections) to cloud-based software vs. on-premises software.
DIGITAL SIGNAGE BUYER: I’m afraid my data won’t be secure in the Cloud.
A: Find a digital signage SaaS provider who uses HTTPS for all data transfers. This layers the HTTP protocol on top of the SSL/TLS protocol, thereby adding military-grade encryption for both the up/down transfers. This is the same level of security that the World Wide Web uses everyday for millions of financial and other secured transactions. Additionally, any reputable cloud-storage company provides storage secured with encryption and other techniques. For these reasons industry experts report that such schemes are more secure than most corporate networks.
Additionally, more advanced cloud signage uses a technique called “cloud files” that actually keeps clients’ data, media, account and billing information in separate locations. This greatly reduces the likelihood of a successful hack.
BUYER: Digital signs in the cloud are a bandwidth hog!
A: This statement used to be somewhat true back in the “video streaming” days, but most modern SaaS systems today use pull technology, which caches the playlist on the media player and therefore uses bandwidth only for the original download and future updates. This is similar to the bandwidth of on-premises software that stores the playlists on local hard drives–except the cloud systems may have the advantage of using web-optimized media encoders that reduce the file size using more efficient H.264 technology among others.
BUYER: If you lose the Internet connection to a cloud media player, the screen will go dark.
A: If the cloud player is designed to cache the playlist, the lost connection should not affect the pre-loaded playlist, which continues to play “as is” with no loss of picture or content. When the connection is restored, new content gets updated seamlessly and automatically.
BUYER: Will I lose the ability to change my content on the fly with a cloud digital signage system?
A: No, you can change the content on the fly with SaaS digital signage just like with on-premises software. It may be true that the download takes a bit longer than an on-premises system, but we are measuring seconds and minutes at most here, not hours, assuming you have a typical broadband connection. Plus, with a cloud system, you can easily schedule downloads to occur at a time that is best for your network. This is not so easy with on-premises software unless you have a local server, which adds greatly to the cost of ownership and system complexity.
BUYER: SaaS costs way too much. All we need is a simple system.
A: Cost savings is a huge factor that a well-designed SaaS system should provide. We help our customers calculate the ROI (return on investment) and COO (cost of ownership) of both platforms we offer–cloud vs. premise. When you factor in the savings from reduced hardware cost, reduced downtime, minimal maintenance cost, and then weigh in the added benefits of a cloud service like anywhere accessibility, free upgrades, free content, free widgets, comprehensive database and real-time cloud sourcing of third-party data and content, interactive integration, ease of use, etc., the cloud systems win (almost) every time in the ROO (return on objectives) arena.
Saying this, we continue to provide multiple platforms because there are some digital signage applications that are just simpler and cheaper to go with on-premises software. However, you don’t need to be a large enterprise to benefit from a cloud system. SMBs are benefiting from cloud digital signage everyday without the objections mentioned in this article.
BUYER: Why should I pay for digital signage? After all, some offer it for FREE!
A: Some people think at first that “free digital signage software” is going to come rolling out of the box like an Apple and set itself up and proclaim it’s ready to go, but here’s the skinny: you will spend maximum time and effort to make it all work only to learn that what you really want will cost you anyway. From our experience with clients who got sick of paying too much for “free” software, we suggest you “cut bait” and go with companies who don’t use such gimmicky marketing tactics and instead go with providers who know how to deliver true value. Full-service digital signage solution providers-who deliver not just digital signage software-but support, system design, content design and marketing know-how, provide business value beyond a flashy sign.
Elucidating The Perks and Key Concerns of Cloud Signage for Businesses
It can be helpful to read about some of the perks cloud service solutions offer while taking a moment to ponder about its key concerns if you are considering them for your organization.
The perks of cloud-based signage
- Advanced cloud signage solutions are designed to aid companies in mastering the art of corporate communication. Whether it is a local, national or worldwide digital sign network or perhaps your in-house message center you must streamline; a large number of business managers believe that signage digital is the ideal solution.
- It mitigates your dependence on costly, proprietary hardware.
- It is deemed a pro-environment choice because it assists you in going paperless.
- Cloud computing means you no longer need to worry about system maintenance.
- Cloud computing typically improves your uptime over PC-based solutions.
- It is a flexible system that can scale to the needs of any organization with ease.
- It is exceedingly versatile as it runs on any platform provided that it supports HTML5.
- Security is a concern that worry managers about cloud solutions. However, if you are a small business, you should know that cloud computing is far safer than most computing practices of SMBs. And considering this is only your “signage” info that has gone digital, not any sensitive company data like financials, etc. Cloud signage doesn’t use or store sensitive company information regardless.
- Another reason why enterprise users hesitated to embrace this technology was that of on-going charges for a SaaS platform. However, most cloud-based signage systems have overcome this objection as operators learned how these advanced systems exponentially boost functionality, expanding possibilities to the limit of one’s imagination. SaaS may be the perfect platform to express signage digitally!
- Some argue cloud signage is too powerful for typical users; it’s just a lot more than needed. This may be true, but it really depends if you want to improve communications rather than maintaining the status quo. That’s why you want to select a system with a proper price point weighted against the features you really need. Anything that you don’t need is just a bonus. The better systems have SLA agreements among other services that help managers take the focus off of the gee-wiz technology, providing tools and services that help operators better master communications for the workplace or shop.
Now that this write-up has shed some light on the relevance of cloud signage in today’s age along with elucidating its perks and key concerns, you can more confidently adopt digital signage knowing that it is the right choice for your business. Modern signage solutions are extremely safe and reliable when powered by cloud computing, and with the added media features of the powerful online software, it’s ideal for your business.